Everett had one objective, too close the door to the series with a win. That’s just what they did. Everett swept Portland again tonight 4-0, at Angel of the Winds Arena. Everett was playing a physical game tonight and was crashing bodies.
Everett was playing very strong offensively, but Portland’s defense was holding their own. With 10:23 left in the 1st period, shots on goal were 7-6 favoring the Tips. Everett had chance, after chance, after chance and couldn’t capitalize on any. They had several breakaway’s, and made Portland turn-over the puck in their zone. But nothing would come near the net.
With approximately 3:35 left in the 1st, Connor Dewar had a breakaway, where he would be pulled down to the ice. Everett’s fans were not pleased with the refs basically saying “play on.” Everett’s fans moments later would be heard, chanting “Refs You Suck”, and occasional booing. The period would end shortly, The game would stay 0-0 going into the 2nd period
Opening the 2nd period, Portland wanted to outplay the Tips offensively and score the opening goal. But Jake Christiansen with 10:07 left in the 2nd, would shut that down by netting the puck in just inside the blue-line. Moments later, Carter Hart would skate off the ice unexpectedly, and backup Goalie Dustin Wolf would take over with 9:22 left in the 2nd. Everett would go 0/3 on the “Power Play” during the 2nd period. Everett would lead 1-0 headed into the 3rd period.
Skating into the 3rd period Hart was back and ready for action. 17:11 left in the 3rd, Vala fired a shot from the blue line, where it would be stopped by traffic and Riley Sutter would get it through Portland’s goalie Cole Kehlr. While Hart would make a great break-away save and Kehlr would do his part. Gianni Fairbrother would out do Kehlr in the paint and score, making it 3-0 Tips with 12:47 left. Tensions seemed to rise after Everett lead 3-0, Portland wasn’t happy trailing by 3 this late in the game.
Now nearly 4:12 left in the game, Portland pulled Kehlr for the man advantage, Christiansen would intercept a pass from Portland and shoot it from Everett’s defensive zone scoring on the empty net. At 4:03 Everett would lead 4-0. The Tips would get a PP and be unsuccessful on the opportunity, the score would remain 4-0 ending the game. Everett would be 0/4 on PP in tonight’s game. Shots on goal would favor the Tips going 43-34 at the final buzzer.
The Everett Silvertip’s have won both of their road games during their two rounds in the Playoffs. Everett is now 8-2 in this years Playoffs.
Things to know:
Everett’s leaders for the 2018 WHL Playoffs, (ranking top 3 or higher)
- Right Winger, Patrick Bajkov is tied for 2nd in Short Handed Goals
- Right Winger, Patrick Bajkov is tied for 2nd in Insurance Goals
- Right Winger, Patrick Bajkov is tied for 2nd in Power Play Goals
- Right Winger, Riley Sutter is tied for 3rd in Game Winning Goals
- Left Winger, Sean Richards is ranked 3rd in Penalty Minutes
- Left Winger, Sean Richards is tied for 3rd in Game Winning Goals
- Center, Connor Dewar is tied for 2nd in Plus/Minus (+/-) getting +15 points
- Center, Connor Dewar is tied for 2nd in Short Handed Goals
- Defensive, Wyatte Wylie is tied for 3rd in Plus/Minus (+/-) getting +14 points
- Goalie, Carter Hart is ranked 1st in Goals Against Average (1.92)
- Goalie Carter Hart is ranked 1st in Save percentage, with a (.944)
- Goalie Carter Hart is tied for 1st in Wins
- Goalie Carter Hart is tied for 2nd in Shutouts
Photos of players ranked top 3 or higher:
Game 1 Home; Friday April 20th puck drop 7:35pm @ Angel of the Winds Arena
Game 2 Home; Saturday April 21st puck drop 7:05pm @ Angel of the Winds Arena
I apologize for not writing Game 4, I had technical difficulties and was unable to attend or listen to the game on Thursday, April 12th.
Written by: Chandler O’Neill
FEATURED IMAGE CREDITED TO, CHRIS MAST (4/13/18) Noah Juulsen dropping the ceremonial puck.
Images via, Everett Silvertips, Images
Player Portraits via, Everett Silvertips
I do not own any of these Photos!