The Everett Silvertips knew what they would need to bring to the rink to win against the Tri-City Americans. The hustle and determination the Tips showed 5,181 fans at Angel of the Winds Arena earned them a 2-3 victory over Tri-City.
Everett came out ready to win. Opening the scoring drive was Center Garrett Pilon(7) who, at 1:05 in the first period, took a slap shot from the left circle and got it passed Tri-City’s Goalie Patrick Dea. Tips Forward Riley Sutter took a “Hooking” penalty at 6:17, which the Tips were successful in the penalty kill. After nearly half the period passed, Everett got a power play chance, but was unsuccessful. Moments after the play expired, Center Connor Dewar flung the puck over the side of the net over the goalie, where a Tri-City player swatted it into their own net. Dewar’s goal gave the Tips a two goal lead. At the horn-sounding end of the first period, Dewar received a “Charging” penalty that put Everett on a penalty kill opening at the second period.
Silvertips Center Garret Pilon skates with the puck in the offensive zone. Photo credit – Chris Mast 4/20/18)
Tri-City was on a power play to open second period and 47 seconds into the Tips’ penalty kill, Americans Center Morgan Geekie(16) found an opening between circles. He let one fly and made it past Tips Goalie Carter Hart. Nearly three minutes into opening the second period, Martin Fasko-Rudas went to the box for “Too Many Men” on the ice. With Tri-City getting another power play, Center Michael Rasmussen(11) stole a pass that Hart dished out, making it a tow game 2-2. Everett got two more power play chances through the second period, but could not capitalize on them. With 2:48 left in the second period, Pilon(8) got his second goal of the night through a centering feed. Tips got a one goal lead, making it 2-3 to end the second period.
With most of the period over, not a single player went to the penalty box. At 1:15 left in the third, the Americans pulled Dea to get a 6th man attacker. The Tips did a great job pushing the puck out of their defensive zone. Everett had two open net opportunities, but missed the net from the pressure of the Americans’ defense.
Everett got the win in tonight’s game, putting them at 9-2 in the playoff series. Tri-City’s sit at 8-1 in the playoff series. Everett looks to go 10-2 tomorrow night back at Angel of the Winds Arena. Puck drops at 7:05pm Saturday, April 21st
Things to know:
Everett’s leaders for the 2018 WHL Playoffs, (ranking top 3 or higher)
- Left Winger, Sean Richards is ranked 3rd in Penalty Minutes
- Center, Connor Dewar is ranked 1st in Plus/Minus (+/-) getting +17
- Center, Garett Pilon is tied for 2nd in Plus/Minus (+/-) getting +16
- Right Winger, Riley Sutter is ranked 3rd in Plus/Minus (+/-) getting +15
- Goalie, Carter Hart is ranked 1st in Goals Against Average (1.92)
- Goalie, Carter Hart is ranked 1st in Save percentage, with a (.942)
- Goalie, Carter Hart is tied for 1st in Wins
- Goalie, Carter Hart is tied for 2nd in Shutouts
Photos of players listed:
Tri-Citys leaders for the 2018 WHL Playoffs, (ranking top 3 or higher)
- Center, Morgan Geekie is tied for 2nd in Points at 25
- Center, Morgan Geekie is ranked 1st in Goals, with 16
- Center, Morgan Geekie is ranked 1st in Game Winning Goals, with 4
- Center, Michael Rasmussen is tied for 2nd in Points at 25
- Center, Michael Rasmussen is ranked 3rd in Goals, with 11
- Center, Michael Rasmussen is tied for 3rd in Assists, with 14
- Center, Michael Rasmussen is tied for 2nd in Power Play Goals, with 5
- Center, MichaelRasmussen is tied for 2nd in Game Winning Goals with 3
- Defensive, Jake Bean is tied for 3rd in Assists, with 14
- Defensive, Dylan Coghlan is tied for 2nd in Plus/Minus (+/-) getting +16
Photos of players listed:
Game 2 Home; Saturday April 21st puck drop 7:05pm @ Angel of the Winds Arena in Everett, Wa. Listen live on the Radio via KRKO 1380am or get your tickets and fill up the arena with fellow Tips’ fans.
Lets Go Tips!
Don’t forget your bells!!
Written by: Chandler O’Neill
Edited by: Cassie Coburn & Chandler O’Neill
FEATURED IMAGE CREDITED TO, CHRIS MAST (Kevin Davis smiling during warm-ups) (4/20/18)
Image links, Everett Silvertips, Images
Player Portraits via, Everett Silvertips
I do not own any of these Photos!